STORY/SCRIPT ORIGINALITY: 4.5/5
CINEMATOGRAPHY/EDITING [DIRECTING]: 4/5
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT [PLOT]: 4/5
MUSIC, SOUND, & SCORE: 3.5/5
ACTING [MAIN CAST]: 4/5
REWATCHABILITY & ENJOYMENT: 5/5
PERSONAL RATING: 3.5/5
28.5/35
Might be Sly’s best acting. The film aged terribly well and is still a struggle in 2026.
STORY/SCRIPT ORIGINALITY: 2.5/5 CINEMATOGRAPHY/EDITING [DIRECTING]: 5/5 CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT [PLOT]: 5/5 MUSIC, SOUND, & SCORE: 5/5 ACTING [MAIN CAST]: 3/5 REWATCHABILITY & ENJOYMENT: 3.5/5 PERSONAL RATING: 4/5 28/35 -I’ve watch this one other time and feel the exact same way…. I DON’T GET IT haha
-This is a masterpiece of directing, sound mixing, editing, and cinematography while also having several interesting incongruent plot devices (monolith, HAL, evolution of man) that are shoehorned together in the end
STORY/SCRIPT ORIGINALITY: 3.5/5
CINEMATOGRAPHY/EDITING [DIRECTING]: 3.5/5
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT [PLOT]: 3/5
MUSIC, SOUND, & SCORE: 3.5/5
ACTING [MAIN CAST]: 3.5/5
ACTION: 4/5
MCU WORLD CONNECTIONS: 5/5
MCU RISK: 3/5
REWATCHABILITY & ENJOYMENT: 4/5
PERSONAL RATING: 3.5/5
36.5/50
A’S PERSONAL RATING: “I wasn’t paying attention so I can’t accurately rate it 🙄”
-I enjoyed AoU more than OG Avengers because the characters are mostly fully realized, its darker tone, and the future of the MCU shifts after this film to what it ultimately became.
-However, the forced love story between Nat and Banner, slightly confusing third act, non-commitment to the horror aspects, and retreads of the same story-beats bumps this below The Avengers.
STORY/SCRIPT ORIGINALITY: 4/5
CINEMATOGRAPHY/EDITING [DIRECTING]: 5/5
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT [PLOT]: 3.5/5
MUSIC, SOUND, & SCORE: 2/5
ACTING [MAIN CAST]: 3.5/5
REWATCHABILITY & ENJOYMENT: 3/5
PERSONAL RATING: 4/5
24/35
-Has a whimsical nature to it. Surprisingly funny in the first half and has the bones of modern day RomComs
-The battle scenes are spectacular for any generation of filmmaking. With more dramatic music and a greater makeup budget, this would be remembered as the archetypal war film
-The run time of 144 minutes is a slog at times. I think all the Mary scenes could be removed and it wouldn’t change the end result.
STORY/SCRIPT ORIGINALITY: 5/5
CINEMATOGRAPHY/EDITING [DIRECTING]: 4/5
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT [PLOT]: 3/5
MUSIC, SOUND, & SCORE: 4/5
ACTING [MAIN CAST]: 4.5/5
REWATCHABILITY & ENJOYMENT: 4.5/5
PERSONAL RATING: 4/5
29/35
-Quite possibly Val Kilmer’s best role
-I think this film gets the “Best All-Around Cast” Championship Belt
-After horseback riding scene that led into a picnic, I thought Wyatt and Josephine were about to boink right then and there
STORY/SCRIPT ORIGINALITY: 4/5
CINEMATOGRAPHY/EDITING [DIRECTING]: 3.5/5
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT [PLOT]: 4/5
MUSIC, SOUND, & SCORE: 5/5
ACTING [MAIN CAST]: 4/5
ACTION: 5/5
MCU WORLD CONNECTIONS: 5/5
MCU RISK: 5/5
REWATCHABILITY & ENJOYMENT: 4/5
PERSONAL RATING: 4/5
43.5/50
A’S PERSONAL RATING: 3.5/5
The right amount of humor, drama, and story arc for each character. This is the whole cosmic side of the MCU and is a core text for everything that follows. High hopes for JG running DC films.
STORY/SCRIPT ORIGINALITY: 1.5/5
CINEMATOGRAPHY/EDITING [DIRECTING]: 2/5
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT [PLOT]: 1/5
MUSIC, SOUND, & SCORE: 2/5
ACTING [MAIN CAST]: 2.5/5
REWATCHABILITY & ENJOYMENT: 1.5/5
PERSONAL RATING: 1/5
11.5/35
A’S PERSONAL RATING: 1.5/5
- This is just a collection of incomplete scenes and forced songs.
-Incomplete scenes…Elphaba knows everything about Dorthy’s journey yet she wasn’t present or shown to be watching. And then it leads into a horribly filmed fight between Glinda and Elphaba. I don’t understand what the tone of the movie is
-The practical effects on the Tin-Man and Scarecrow are incredible!!! Why was the movie not practical like this???
-obvious seams of using ADR throughout most of the songs. Major turn off
STORY/SCRIPT ORIGINALITY: 4/5
CINEMATOGRAPHY/EDITING [DIRECTING]: 4/5
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT [PLOT]: 3.5/5
MUSIC, SOUND, & SCORE: 3/5
ACTING [MAIN CAST]: 4/5
REWATCHABILITY & ENJOYMENT: 4/5
PERSONAL RATING: 3.5/5
26/35
Just a fun elevated romcom. I wish we could have studio romcoms do this again…go on location, have huge stars at the center with chemistry, and actually show genuine character development.